The King is Here
Summary: The people of Israel were anticipating a king but the king they got was not what they expected but was exactly what they needed.
7 When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. 8 Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. 9 Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted,
“Hosanna!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” 10 “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!” “Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
Israel was waiting for a king.
- A descendant of David who would set up an eternal kingdom.
- They expected him to destroy the Roman oppression.
- They expected physical deliverance but not spiritual deliverance.
Often we look for God to fix our situations and we lose sight of what we need fixed within us.
The King arrived.
- Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey as foretold.
- Jesus demonstrated that he was our burden-bearer
- They celebrated the king they thought he was.
We can become discouraged when our expectations aren’t met but what Jesus offers is better than we expected.
We celebrate the King we know!
- Who delivers us not from Rome but sin.
- Who conquers our true enemy.
- Who us from the control of our flesh.
Jesus is a conquering king over anything that you need deliverance from.
- Jesus is better than our expectations.
- Jesus is a conquering king that delivers.
- Salvation can only be found in him.